If you’re one of the many people who enjoy going all out with decorations for seasons and holidays, an avid hobbyist with many interests, or someone who enjoys sporting activities like skiing, snowboarding, surfing, kayaking, boating, fishing, hunting, or other activities that require a large amount of specialty equipment, you’ve likely either already secured a storage facility for your items or have been strongly considering it. In either case, one of the major concerns that often comes up is how to rotate through seasonal storage to make getting the things you need easily accessible when you want them. At 21 North Storage, we’re storage experts, and we’ve put together this quick list of tips for rotating seasonal storage for maximum efficacy and ease.
- Inventory Lists Are Key – One of the easiest ways for your seasonal storage unit to become a cluttered mess is by tossing things in and taking them out without any kind of tracking system. Keep a detailed inventory of what you have in your unit and what you’ve taken out – your inventory system can be as simple as a written list or as high-tech as a detailed spreadsheet or tracking app.
- Opt for Clear Bins – Being able to get an idea of what’s in a bin without having to open it is great for easily finding what you want. Use bins that are clear and stackable, if possible, to make life easier.
- Label Everything – Your inventory list will tell you what’s in your unit, but labels are lifesavers if you have items packed neatly into bins. Labels are also critical if you aren’t storing items in clear bins.
- Zone Your Unit – You likely have a lot of different things in your unit if you’re using it for seasonal storage, so consider dividing the space into smaller zones to make finding what you want even easier.
- Rotate Regularly – Even if you’re stopping by to take things out on a regular basis, make sure you’re also rotating things you’re not coming to take out as well. This helps keep your boxes and bins in good condition and gives you an opportunity to get rid of anything you no longer need, freeing up space for other items.
- Use Your Vertical Space – Shelving units are a great way to maximize your available space. If you’re not ready to invest in shelving for your seasonal storage items, you can also opt for stackable storage bins.
We hope you have found these tips helpful. If you have any other questions or would like more information about the storage options we offer, contact us today!