There are many different reasons for vehicle storage. You may have an expensive car that you use rarely and want to remain in perfect condition. You many be relocating for an extended period of time, and don’t want the added expense of shipping your car. Or maybe you’re relocating to a city where you’ll use public transportation. You may also choose vehicle storage to get more space in your garage or a number of other reasons.
Whatever your need is, it’s important that you follow these guidelines for long term vehicle storage:
- The best choice is to store your vehicle indoors. This protects your vehicle from the elements and keeps maintenance to a minimum.
- Before storing your vehicle, have it detailed. It should be completely clean, inside and out. A vehicle should also be newly waxed as a part of the detailed cleaning. This will help eliminate the risk of rust.
- Replace all the fluids and make sure they’re full.
- Store your vehicle with brand new oil and a new filter.
- If possible, plan to take it out or have someone else take it out of storage occasionally and go for a drive.
If your car will not be used for over a year, there are other necessary steps to take in storing it. These could include removing the battery and cleaning around it, removing the tires or adding extra air, and removing the wiper blades. Vehicle storage keeps your valuable investment protected from others and from the elements. If you take proper care of your vehicle and store it correctly, you’ll enjoy your vehicle for a lot longer than if you leave it exposed in your driveway or on the street.